Sunday, August 14, 2011

Getting Settled, but still not quite there

So, I've been in Abu Dhabi for 2 days, although it feels like much longer, and yet shorter as well. I realize that is a pretty confusing statement, but it's true. The time change as well as the fact that the hours kept here are much different (in part due to Ramadan and in part due to the heat) has thrown my schedule for a loop. I look forward to exploring more when I have the chance.So far, I've slept, attended orientations, and went to the Marina Mall, which is frankly HUGE. We're so insulated from the culture here I haven't felt much differences.  I still haven't received my housing assignments, but I'm not too worried (okay, yes I am, it is me after all), and I should know where I'll be by Wednesday.

I can hear the call to prayer in the distance, which is amazingly beautiful and song-like, it echos throughout the city (all the different mosques provide a call to prayer). The hotel is lovely, beyond lovely, and everyone so kind.

Here's a few pictures I've taken so far.
View from the Hotel Room


LLots of Construction going on



The Emirates Palace is in the distance. It's a hotel, not an actual palace. 

This is the Marina Mall (The humidity fogged up my lens and this was the best shot I was able to get)


1 comment:

  1. how exciting, and beautiful. hope the weather gets less humid during other seasons.

    ReplyDelete